Free Spirit Match Boddington Classic
Free Spirit Match Boddington Classic Launches Thursday
The Angling Trust are delighted to announce that rod experts Free Spirit Match have backed the Boddington Classic for 2022 with some exciting changes to the competition:
- Larger Prize pool (dependant on a sell-out) paying down to 7th place and sections
- A 2-day final on aggregate weight with a rotated draw like RiverFest
- 6 Qualifiers of 48 anglers
- Qualification increased to 8 person sections (6 anglers go through per qualifier) to suit the venue layout
- Priority tickets to returning anglers – All anglers that purchased tickets last year will be able to secure their preferred qualifier (one ticket) 24hrs before the sales open up completely.
- Facebook Draws will continue for the competition to allow anglers to bring the right kit and prepare correctly.
- Ticket prices will remain the same for 2022 at £45, this includes everything (ticket, pools and peg fee) and we’ll be paying out pools via BACS.
Alongside all these points there will be further investment in the Final to make the competition look slicker than ever before and one that every commercial angler would want to win!
- Priority Tickets will launch at 12:00 midday on Thursday 10th February for returning anglers, this will last for 24hrs.
- Ticket sales will open up completely at 12:00 midday on Friday 11th February.
Returning anglers will be sent an email this evening with all the procedures on how to book a priority ticket.
Qualifier 1 – 1st May 2022
Qualifier 2 – 14th May 2022
Qualifier 3 – 29th May 2022
Qualifier 4 – 12th June 2022
Qualifier 5 – 29th June 2022
Qualifier 6 – 3rd July 2022
Grand Final – 16th July 2022 (Day One) & 17th July 2022 (Day Two)
Please Note – once anglers have qualified for the final then all their remaining ticket/s for this event will be cancelled and refunded. This then will allow others to purchase a ticket and give those who aren’t already booked onto the event a chance to qualify for the Final.
For any anglers who qualify and their tickets are cancelled then they will be able to repurchase a ticket for qualifier/s closer to the time if they have not sold out. They may go and check availability to purchase any tickets during the week prior to the qualifier takes place subject to entry and closing dates.
Wet and overcast conditions greeted the 40 finalists to this year’s Boddington Classic Final, however the fish responded well to the cooler conditions and fed well. The favoured beach area did produce some good weights as anticipated, but it was peg 84 that threw up the winner.
Jake King (Trabucco/Bag Em Baits) fished an excellent match on the bomb and pellet, to take 27 carp to 6kg and secure the title of ‘Boddington Classic Champion 2019’ and a cheque for £1682 with a superb weight of 112.775kg.
Tony Johnson (Deeping St James) drew peg 97 on the beach and just fell short with 26 carp to 7kg caught on wafters and hybrid feeder for 96.200kg. Close by at peg 93 was Richard Edmunds (Free Spirit) who also caught 26 carp on wafter and method fished at long range for 90.400kg.
The Angling Trust would like to thank the Canal & Rivers Trust and their team at Boddington Reservoir for co-organising the competition and special thanks to Dick & Sheila Pilkington for almost single handedly running the competitions in recent years and wish them a happy retirement in the near future.
Next year’s event will extend to five qualifiers to keep up with demand, but will be reduced to 48 pegs with 8 people qualifying through from each round.
Tickets will go on sale later in the year through the booking site, so watch this space and the Facebook page for updates.
1. Jason King. 112.775kg
2. Tony Johnson 96.200kg
3. Richard Edmunds 90.400kg